Friday, January 25, 2013

And now for the halfway around the world part.

At this point you may be thinking to yourself: "So, Taylor, you've started your fancy-dancy little website here, and I still don't even know where you're going yet. jerk."

How rude of me!

Let me show you:



At least that's the plan.


Here's a strategy e-mail with my ground man. The point player.
The guy that knows what's what.

"The 9th is still looking good for the Narita flight. I think we have pretty much settled ((are you also cringing at the prospect of only having something pretty much settled for a flight less than a month away and all the way around the world? k. good. That makes two of us)) on this route:
MSN to ORD/DFW to NRT to SIN to PER
***MSN = Madison, WI// ORD = Chicago, IL// DFW = Dallas/Fort Worth, TX// NRT = Narita, Japan// SIN = Singapore// PER = Perth, Western Australia (WA) {And my final destination!!}***You'll be on AA ((American Airline and airline of choice))to NRT and then Delta for Narita to Singapore and then I'll get ZEDS for you on both Quantas and Malaysia Airlines for Singapore to Perth. WORST case in Singapore if things went all to hell and you were going to be trapped for a week you could buy a ticket on Singapore Airlines (rated best in the world) ...I would get you a ZED for them but apparently we don't have an agreement with them.
I suppose I should get a "backup" ZED for NRT to SIN on Japan Airlines or Quantas in the off chance the Delta thing would fall through...
Dad"

And then some follow-up correspondence while trying to get a firmer answer on if the plan is to first head to ORD or DFW on 9FEB2013:

"The first DFW to NRT is booked slightly lighter and gets in earlier and there is a second flight out of DFW at 11am. HOWEVER to make the 9:40am out of DFW to NRT you would have to go down the day before to DFW.

THE issue with the Chicago flight is that if you take it I am not sure you are going to have enough connect time in NRT to make the Delta flight to Singapore....but you could always overnight at NRT and take the flight on Monday.

I need to check the minimum connect time between AA and DL @ NRT - once I know that I'll know what is possible and not possible.
-Dad"


So, are you freaking out yet?
Welcome to my world, partner.

3 comments:

  1. standby travel what a joke.

    P.S. you should add something in your blog about baggage allowance on standby travel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like an element of mystery in international travel plans. Good luck!

    (Also I don't know why google is using a picture of me when I was 14...or that name)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it wrong that I kind of love it though?
      And thanks, doll!

      Delete