Tuesday, January 22, 2013

There's a whisper that passes through my family.

When your dad works for the airline, you don't travel like the other kids also a 1000 miles away for college, you fly as a non-rev.

When you fly this way, nothing is guaranteed. Not ever. Which, would give even the most seasoned revenue traveler a quiver. It's all I've known for the last five years. Suffice it to say, I'm sort of a pro on the subject. Need to know an airport code? I've got it. Need to know all of the possible routes from Madison to New Orleans? Definitely have that down. Last minute flying problem and need advice? Hopefully you have my number on speed dial. Why am I such a seasoned traveler? Because my flying is cheap, so I get to do a lot of it. 


Here's the catch-22 with flying as a non-rev. You don't necessarily get on the flight. Just because you list yourself for a flight, go through security, and sit at a gate for three hours, doesn't mean you're actually getting on that flight.

And this is why I'm the Weasel. I always almost always get on the flight. Not only do I get on the flight, I usually make first class. Dress the part, act the part, get the part--right? Or something along those lines...

So, I have all of this information and knowledge stored up top, because I have to. And you best believe that I'm hoping you oversleep your 5am flight on Thanksgiving to see your family, so I can get home to see mine. ;)


 

So, slowly but surely, I established a name for myself, stemming from a childhood nickname, but bridging on reality. The travel weasel was born. 


2 comments:

  1. Dear Weasel... Love your story. Keep up the good work. Where are you going next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travel Weasels are so in right now!

    ReplyDelete